Regardless of product, audience, market conditions or valuation, here are 10 Undeniable Branding Truths:
- Awesomeness is the ultimate benchmark. “Are we awesome?” covers people, systems, marketing, product dev … everything.
- Your internal culture is always manifested in your brand – especially in customer experience and product quality.
- If your brand appeals to both Hipsters and Republicans, you will be just fine.
- Institutional thinking produces sameness in your branding and marketing. Sameness is also what you do when you have no differentiators.
- If you have no differentiators, you are not a brand – you are an entity.
- “Best kept secret” just means you suck at marketing.
- If you want mass market appeal, you will eventually have to sell to dumb people.
- A true message isn’t a slogan. It’s an invitation.
- The relationship between a brand and an audience is just like a personal relationship. It needs intimacy, validation and appreciation.
- If you can’t be awesome, can’t build something awesome, can’t treat other people awesomely, no amount of marketing can fix your brand.
Add your truths in the comments.